Once everything was stripped out, the re-build started. The Acoustic layer went down (to help reduce noise transferrence) along with the underfloor heating and a leveling compound. All ceilings were re-plastered and the plumbing redone for the shower and bath and kitchen. We added a few more walls sockets and eventually added a new RDC (fuseboard) as well as the other protective items. The space started to take shape. Next the fun part!
I had already decided upon a mainly blue hued design with an overall mid-century look, and simple white tiles for the bathroom and kitchen walls using black grout to add a contrast. The flooring was to be the same throughout - porcelain wood effect tiles in a parquet design and the bathroom to have a touch of luxury with marble mosaic. I tried to mix some touches of luxury along with some more basic elements to meet the budget.
The tiles, paint and bathroom fixtures & fittings were from Fired Earth (list at end) and the kitchen from Howdens. Here I decided up on white floor to ceiling storage along the side wall, low level cabinets along the window wall (with the sink taking the view out of the window) and a central Island in contrasting dark Navy. For work-surfaces I settled on wood for the worktop by the sink and a composite material with waterfall effect on the Island, with one side having a breakfast bar to eat at. This keps the palette simple and (I hoped) would create a consistent look.
I went for a pale colour on the walls in the lounge and hall area (Fired Earth Platinum Pale), a lightly darker colour in the bedroom (Fired Earth Ultramarine Ashes) to make it more cosy, and a deep blue (Fired Earth Carbon Blue) on the bathroom and kitchen walls where they were not tiled. Ceilings would be white as well as the woodwork (Fired Earth Yes Your Honour) apart from the front door which I wanted a deep green (Fired Earth Malachite). The outside window frames would be grey (Fired Earth Mercury).
I was excited to see how this would look with the wood & leather furniture I had chosen).
Putting back together.
The next phase was to finish off the floors, ceilings and electrical/plumbing. This seemed to take for ever. But we had to plan where the Island was going, where the oven, washer/dryer was to be, the fridge, the lights etc. This needed to be right as we could not change this easily after the the sockets were in and plastered over. The flat started to take shape….below are some photos of the flooring, tanking and other plastering work in progress.